1. Be prepared
- Ensure your residents and staff are immunised against flu and have a stockpile of personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Ensure your residents over the age of 65 are immunised against pneumococcal disease.
- Ensure your residents are immunised against shingles when they reach 70 years of age. The vaccine is also available for anyone in their 70s who was born after 1 September 1942 who has not yet had the vaccnine, and for anyone up to the age of 79 years who previously missed out on the vaccine. NB: shingles vaccine is available throughout the year. Further information on shingles can be found on the NHS choices website.
2. Recognise outbreaks
3. Report outbreaks to your local health protection team seven days a week
- North West London – 020 3326 1658
- North East and North Central London – 020 3837 7084
- South London – 0344 326 2052
Use the following weblink to find details of your local health protection team: