The National End of Life Intelligence Network has released a new report, entitled Palliative and end of life care: hospital deaths 2006 to 2017, which is available today. This report is the second in its Palliative and End of Life Care report series.
The report provides important data for stakeholders to better understand patterns of deaths in hospital since 2006 by cause of death, age, gender and deprivation.
- overall proportion of hospital deaths steadily decreased between 2006 and 2017
- those aged 85 years and older had the lowest proportion of hospital deaths after 2013
- the degree of variation in the proportion of hospital deaths across Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) decreased between 2006 and 2017
- for each cause of death group, with the exception of pneumonia, the proportion of hospital deaths decreased between 2006 and 2017
- for each cause of death group, with the exception of COPD and dementia, the number of deaths in hospital fell between 2006 and 2017